Wednesday, October 25, 2006

1:53:17

Well, I finished it. *sigh* And now, a couple of days later, I've just about recovered from the Lady Godiva half marathon.

It was a really good weekend all-round - great to see some of my uni friends again whilst I was up in the midlands. Now back to the harsh reality of job applications this week.

The half marathon was definitely the highlight of the weekend. Even though, as I said, I wasn't totally looking forward to it, on the day I actually did enjoy the challenge, despite the fact that not every second of the running could be described as being "enjoyable"! I finished in 1 hour, 53 minutes and 17 seconds. Steve finished about 20 minutes after me. I think we were both happy enough with those times, although of course there's always a little bit of you that thinks "I could have run that a fraction faster" (I came around 700th out of over 1700 runners by the way ... which is alright I suppose).

I'm also famous now, thanks to the half marathon ... well, kind of! A photo of me crossing the start line is featured on the BBC Coventry website. Click here to see it! Was pleasantly surprised by that - it's not every day you're featured on the BBC website. Stardom beckons ... not!

Would I do it again? Maybe. If I do another half marathon or similar then I'd probably do it for charity. Quite a few people have asked me something along the lines of "so, which charity are you running for?". Thus, I've had lots of practice at uttering the words "Actually I'm not. I'm just running for a challenge - a challenge with a friend." i.e. I'm running for myself - selfish, selfish me! Haha. Nah, I think it was alright to run this as a pure challenge. The fact that I signed up pretty late meant that there was little time to sort out any kind of fundraising or the like. But I guess if I did anything like this again then it'd be really ace to do it for a good cause as well as for the fact that it's a great challenge. Though maybe I should just aim to beat my time ...

3 comments:

Pete said...

And before anyone points this out, I do realise that my eyes appear to be shut in the photo above. I have indeed mastered the art of "running blind"/"sleep running" (call it what you will). If you'd like some tips on how to do this, just let me know! :P

Unknown said...

And i'd like to point out myself in the background!! Keep up the blogging and job applications! I seem to have retired from blogging for the moment. Too much studying to do!

Pete said...

Fair point: how rude of me! Despite my best efforts to block you out with my right shoulder, you are indeed in the background! You're destined for fame too it would seem! :P

I wonder whether we made an appearance on Touch FM by the way after our brief interview with their reporter before the start?

Blogging does indeed take up quite a bit of time. Having said that I haven't written anything for over a week now. Hmm, think I'll try and put that right asap.