Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Essential Day 2

The alarm this morning went far too early. However, by the time I'd had a brisk, cold walk to the 8am prayer meeting and Bible study I was feeling surprisingly awake by my standards for that time of the morning. It was really good to encourage one another and to pray before getting on with the rest of the day. After the prayer meeting a few of us went to Rootes Resaurant to have a leisurely breakfast and this was a good opportunity to get to know a couple of the AMs (Assistant Missioners, who have come from outside the university for the week).

I did some work in the middle of the day - some reading towards an essay. I also went to a lecture, which was going on at the same time as today's lunchbar: "Birth, life, death ... is there more to life than this?" I did though manage to make it to the main meeting at half five. Today I thought this was very slick! The drama was outstanding - very funny and very thought-provoking. Roger was talking about how God could change people, citing the example of the woman who was caught commiting adultery in John 8 in the Bible. People seemed to really listen and Roger spoke in a very clear manner making some good key points (but also finding time for a few humorous anecdotes). I think we're very fortunate to have a speaker like him with us this week. The meeting also featured a really cool true story of how a Warwick student became a Christian - these are always really encouraging.

Globe Cafe took up the rest of the evening. I was amazed at how many people turned up for our Japanese evening! Praise God! There was some Japanese food (though not that much due to unexpected sheer weight of numbers) and a presentation about Japanese culture, including a lengthy explanation of Japanese toilets! A Japanese girl gave her testimony to round the evening off. It was quite exciting to hear her story and she was passionate about telling it so hopefully that might have got through to some people. Right, I'm off to bed. Hopefully I'll get somewhat more sleep than last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Pete
Thanks for the news. It's good to have news even being far!
Good luck for this week.
;)
clotilde

Pete said...

Hey guys,

Good to hear from you and thanks for your good wishes.

Glad to to provide enough info that it almost feels like you're "at Warwick" for the week Steve! As for the 8am prayer meetings, I think my ability to make it to them has been helped a lot by being on campus - not sure I'd have made too many of them if I was living off-campus!

Hope things are well with you on the other side of "the pond". Hope to catch up with you online real soon now that the whirlwind that was Essential is over.

Pete.