Monday, January 23, 2006

Evangelism

After not posting for a long while (due to university holidays, the presence of coursework and an exam and so on) I now find myself well and truly back into the swing of blogging. Two posts in two days: not bad given my past posting rate huh?

Anyway, I thought I'd have a little natter about evangelism today. Clearly it's not going to be possible to say everything that I want to about evangelism. It's a huge area with so much ground that I could cover, but I did want to touch on it as we find ourselves on the eve of Essential (Warwick CU's mission week, which starts tomorrow - well later on today as it's now the early hours!).

I've been thinking a lot about evangelism recently and in particular about why I haven't been involved in it more and why I'm so rubbish at it. It's the kind of thing that's easy to get daunted by I think and perhaps the hardest part is getting started. To get started you need good motivation. So why exactly do we as Christians tell others about Jesus?

My favourite quote about is evangelism comes from Charles Spurgeon who said that evangelism is simply "one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread". This is so true - we're simply pointing other people in the direction of where they can get exactly what they need. The trouble is, most people don't realise they need it (the Bible says that they are blinded from the light - ask me if you want the reference). Which is perhaps one reason why some people get rather annoyed by evangelistic approaches from Christians - they don't see the need for any of it. However, we should want to see others turn to God as He commands us to love others and if we truly love everyone (yep, even our enemies) would we leave them to die in their sin? (as the Bible says that they will without knowing Him) Matthew 28 (verse 16 onwards) is the key passage that commands believers to go out and tell others.

Anyway, that's just a very brief outline of the motivations for evangelism, constituting a very small part of what I could say about evangelism. Maybe I'll come back to it at a later date, but for now it's time to put this theory into practice in the shape of Essential.

No comments: